Adding a custom link to WordPress under the Appearance Menu is typically done through the WordPress dashboard. Here are the step-by-step instructions:
- Log in to your WordPress admin dashboard. You will need Administrator privileges to access the Appearance Menu.
- In the WordPress dashboard, navigate to “Appearance” on the left-hand side menu. Hover over it to reveal more options.
- Click on “Menus” from the sub-menu that appears under “Appearance.” This will take you to the Menus editor page.
- On the Menus editor page, you will see the Menu Structure. If you already have a menu created, you can select it from the drop-down list under “Select a menu to edit.” Otherwise, click on the “Create a new menu” link to create a new one and give it a name.
- Once you have the desired menu selected or created, you can start adding custom links to it.
- Look for the “Custom Links” panel on the left side of the Menus editor page. It should be collapsible; click on it to expand it.
- In the “URL” field, enter the full URL of the custom link you want to add. For example, if you want to link to “https://example.com/custom-page,” enter that URL.
- In the “Link Text” field, enter the text you want to display for the custom link. This is what users will see on the website. For example, if you want the link to display as “Custom Page,” enter that text.
- Click on the “Add to Menu” button. The custom link will be added to the Menu Structure on the right side of the page.
- You can now drag and drop the custom link to arrange its position within the menu. You can also nest it under other menu items to create sub-menus, if needed.
- After arranging the custom link as desired, scroll down to the bottom of the Menus editor page.
- You should see a section called “Menu Settings.” Here, you can assign the menu to a specific location on your theme. Select the desired location from the available options, typically listed as “Primary Menu,” “Secondary Menu,” etc. The available locations may vary depending on your theme.
- Once you’ve assigned the menu to the desired location, click the “Save Menu” button to save your changes.
- Visit your website and check the Appearance Menu. Your custom link should now be visible in the menu, with the text you provided.
That’s it! You have successfully added a custom link to your WordPress site’s Appearance Menu.